Custom / private nameservers and sometimes called glue records are nameservers based on your own domain name, e.g ns1.yourdomain.com.
These can be used if you want to run your own DNS servers, or alias your custom nameservers against other public nameservers (if allowed).
These are generally useful for resellers or customers that wish to have a branded look.
For .UK domains, please raise a Support Ticket with the hostnames and corresponding IP addresses you’d like to use and one of our engineers will set this up for you.
For .com, org, etc domains these can be setup in the Purely.Website control panel using the guide below.
Adding Custom Nameservers
- Login to your Purely.website account.
- Using the top menu sub menu, click Domains.
- Click on the domain you wish to set the custom nameservers on.
- Using the left menu, click Private Nameservers.
- You can register your new custom nameserver, e.g. ns1. with the required IP address, click Save Changes.
Modifying Custom Nameservers
- Enter the nameserver you wish to edit, e.g. ns1.
- Enter the current IP address and the New IP Address, click Save Changes.
Deleting Custom Nameservers
- Enter the nameserver you wish to delete, e.g. ns1. then click Save Changes.
Once your private nameservers have been setup you can make the switch to use them by changing the domains nameservers.
Please note: Any DNS changes can take up to 24 hours to apply.